Fortunately, most errors are relatively benign. However, there are circumstances where incorrect surgery can have devastating and life-long effects on patients. If you think you have been the victim of an incorrect surgical error there are a number of things you can do before contacting a specialist Incorrect Surgery Claim solicitor.
- Make a written complaint. In your complaint ask the Hospital to confirm:
- What surgical procedure should have taken place and what procedure actually took place.
- If there was an error, ask why that happened.
- Ask if a ‘never event’ took place.
- Has a formal investigation been undertaken.
- If an investigation was undertaken ask for a copy of the ‘Root Cause Analysis/Report.
2. Insist on a written response to your complaint. If you remain unhappy with the Hospital’s response then you may wish to consider contacting a specialist Solicitor. If you do make sure you provide a copy of the complaints letter and the response as this is very useful for the early investigative stages. I cannot stress enough that the most important thing you can give your solicitor is information, one thing I always say to my Clients, “tell me everything you think is relevant, I would rather have too much information than not enough”.